The Jewish Federation of Greater Houston’s Jewish Education Department is certified by the State of Texas to provide continuing education credits to certified teachers.
Through our Teacher Development programming, more than 600 teachers from eight Jewish Day Schools, 21 Congregational Schools, and 11 Early Childhood programs receive formal educational training.
Teacher Development Opportunities Include:
- Annual seminar for 125+ Congregational School teachers (Yom Moreh)
- In-service teacher training days for Jewish Day School teachers, utilizing Federal Title II Funds
- Series of professional development programs based on identified needs of teachers including pedagogy and Jewish content
- Congregational Teacher Mentor Program (Morim L’Chaim)
- Collaborations with national organizations and foundations to provide seminars and conferences in Houston
Additionally, the Jewish Federation of Greater Houston’s Jewish Education Department is a founding member of Shinui – a national network that provides learning opportunities for innovation in Jewish education.
Irving L. Samuels Outstanding Teacher Awards for Judaic Studies
Each year the Federation recognizes two outstanding Jewish Educators through the Irving L. Samuels Outstanding Teacher Award for Judaic Studies. One winner selected is from a day school or early childhood program and one winner is selected from a congregational school. Nominate a Teacher for this award.
Harold Reingold Yavneh Award for Jewish Educators
The Federation also presents an award to a professional education administrator who has demonstrated outstanding contributions in the field. Nominations for this award are solicited from the community-at-large. Nominate an Educator for this award.
For more information about Teacher Development, please contact Lisa Klein.