Registration is now closed.
Questions? Contact Sara Sandhaus at email@example.com
Thanks for a great Mitzvah Day!
Join YAD for a day of giving back to our Houston community.
YAD Mitzvah Day is on Sunday, December 11, 2016 from 9:30-11:30 AM
Projects are throughout Houston and we will all meet for a wrap-up party at Third Floor in Midtown at 12:00PM
Please bring a gift for the “Count Me In” Toy Drive!
Mitzvah Day Chairs: Josh Herman & Lexie Silverman
YAD Community and Philanthropy Engagement Chairs: Lindsey Fox & Marc Sancton
YAD Chairs: Marc Eichenbaum & Levi Strauss
Mitzvah Day Project Sponsors: Atid: Beth Israel’s 20’s & 30’s, Beth Yeshurun Young Adults, Moishe House, YJP Houston and YP Torch
Mitzvah Day Sponsors: Helfman Dodge & Triple S Steel
Mitzvah Day Projects:
1) Jewish Family Services (JFS)-Celebration Company - Celebration Company is an entrepreneurial business site developed by JFS Disability Services to provide Jewish and non-Jewish adults with disabilities an entry into the workplace. Join us in rolling and packaging Chanukah Candles that are sold in Judaica stores around town.
Project Captain: Alex Ellerin
2) Young Family Project: PJ Library & The Medallion Assisted Living –Through the PJ Library program, the Jewish Federation of Greater Houston reaches out to Jewish families with young children to help create stronger Jewish homes - homes that foster children's curiosity about their Jewish heritage and help families explore their Jewish identity. Join YAD & PJ Library Family Volunteers in visiting the elderly The Medallion residents for song and craft activities!
Project Captain: Jen & Ben Fink
3) Hermann Park Conservancy - Hermann Park, located in one of the most picturesque areas of Houston. Nestled in between the museum district, the Texas Medical Center and Rice University Hermann Park provides Houstonians with plenty of green space to enjoy Houston’s temperate climate. Hermann Park is one of Houston’s first parks and is one of the premier parks in the department inventory of parks. YAD will be assisting in weeding, mulching, raking and more.
Project Captain: Rebeca Barvin & Michael Kalontarov
Project Sponsor: Atid: Beth Israel’s 20’s & 30’s
4) Tomchei Shabbat - Tomchei Shabbat of Houston strives to make sure that every Jewish family in Houston has enough food for their weekly Shabbat and Jewish Holiday table, every week, every time. Serving as the middle-men between families in need and those willing to help. This is done on a completely anonymous and volunteer basis. Help Tomchei Shabbat sort and organize the food pantry!
Project Captain: Zvi Alpert
Project Sponsor: Torch YP
5) Texas Children’s Hospital - Texas Children's Hospital is a not-for-profit organization whose mission is to create a healthier future for children and women throughout our global community by leading in patient care, education and research. They are proud to be consistently ranked among the top children’s hospitals in the nation. Visit with the patients at the hospital and help lift their spirits by playing games or doing a fun craft project with them.
Project Captain: Lauren Slatko
6) Jewish Family Services (JFS) "TLC Project"- Jewish Family Service & the Neighbors4Neighbors Network (www.n4nn.org) "TLC Project" - JFS assists senior adults in SW Houston with basic needs when family members are no longer nearby or unavailable to help. N4NN is a JFS community project designed to assist seniors who wish to age-in-place (in their own homes), instead of having to sell their homes and move into retirement facilities or nursing homes. Please consider giving a couple of hours of TLC by visiting the home of a JFS senior client or an N4NN member and helping them to maintain pride in their homes by assisting with jobs that they can no longer do on their own - like raking leaves, planting flowers, sweeping the garage, and changing light bulbs so that they are more secure in their homes. Please indicate if you are allergic to smoke or pets when selecting this task.
Project Captain: Niki Lessig
7) Friendship Circle Young Adults (FCYA) and Pathfinder– Friendship Circle is dedicated to creating a supportive community for children and adults with special needs, involving them in a full range of social and Judaic experiences. Pathfinder, of Menninger Clinic, provides outpatient mental health therapy for young adults. Join the FCYA and Pathfinder patients for a challah bake.
Project Captain: Batami Baskin & Marci Dinkin
Project Sponsor: YJP Houston
8) Child Advocates – Child Advocates in a non-profit that mobilizes court appointed volunteers to break the vicious cycle of child abuse. They speak up for abused children who are lost in the system and guide them into safe environments where they can thrive. Volunteer at the “Santa's Wish List" warehouse to wrap gifts and assist with distribution to neglected and abused children in Houston.
Project Captains: Kyle Golding, Samantha Lubel & Ashley Wolf
9) New Hope Housing – New Hope Housing provides supportive housing for individuals who are living on a very limited income, and engagement opportunities that create relationships and friendships is very important to fostering a happy home. Volunteer at a community social with the residents to play games and mingle with the residents to lift their spirits and perhaps build a connection that lasts beyond this one interaction!
Project Captain: Emory Skolkin and Sam Stein
Project Sponsor: Beth Yeshurun Young Adults
10) Harris County Public Health Pet Adoption Services- Help the animals at the shelter find a warm and loving home by assisting with setting up the mobile adoption site, cleaning the pets and kennels, and of course walking them and making them happy so they can be adopted!
Project Captain: Tatiana Stein
Project Sponsor: Moishe House