Join YAD for a day of giving back to our Houston community.
YAD Mitzvah Day is on Sunday, October 29, 2017
Projects are throughout Houston, join us for breakfast at the Federation before going to your project!
Breakfast: 9-10 AM at 5603 S Braeswood
Projects: 10:30 AM – 12:30 PM (see individual projects for alternative start times)
Please bring a gift for the “Count Me In” Toy Drive!
Mitzvah Day Chairs: Kaori and Daniel Barvin
YAD Community Engagement Chairs: Danielle Alexander and Harris Benson
Mitzvah Day Young Family Chairs: Mari and Michael Taska
YAD Young Family Chairs: Sandra Bernstein and Tovi Leibovitz
YAD Chair: Shawn Golan
YAD Vice Chair: Kacie Penn
Mitzvah Day Partners: Atid: Beth Israel’s 20s & 30s, Beth Yeshurun Young Adults, Emanu El Young Professionals, HCRJ, Jewston, Moishe House, PJ Library, YJP Houston and YP Torch
Mitzvah Day Projects:
1) Jewish Family Services (JFS)-Celebration Company - Celebration Company is an entrepreneurial business site developed by JFS Disability Services to provide Jewish and non-Jewish adults with disabilities an entry into the workplace. Join us in rolling and packaging Chanukah Candles that are sold in Judaica stores around town.
Project Captain: Noy Shemer
Project Sponsor: Jewston
2) Hermann Park Conservancy - Hermann Park, located in one of the most picturesque areas of Houston. Nestled in between the museum district, the Texas Medical Center and Rice University Hermann Park provides Houstonians with plenty of green space to enjoy Houston’s temperate climate. Hermann Park is one of Houston’s first parks and is one of the premier parks in the department inventory of parks. YAD will be assisting in weeding, mulching, raking and more.
Project Captain: Justin Deutsch
Project Sponsor: HCRJ
3) Harvey Relief Distribution Center - Help organize and distribute items at a warehouse serving as a distribution center for anyone who has been affected by Hurricane Harvey.
Project Captain: Jessica Cherem
Project Sponsor: Torch YP
4) Friendship Circle Young Adults (FCYA)– Friendship Circle is dedicated to creating a supportive community for children and adults with special needs, involving them in a full range of social and Judaic experiences. Craft a Mezuzah case and package Judaic gifts for flooded families along with Young Adults with special needs!
Project Captain: Batami Baskin & Marci Dinkin
Project Sponsor: YJP Houston
5) Harris County Public Health Pet Adoption Services- Help the animals at the shelter find a warm and loving home by assisting with setting up the mobile adoption site, cleaning the pets and kennels, and of course walking them and making them happy so they can be adopted!
Project Captain: Harris Benson
Project Sponsor: Atid: Beth Israel’s 20’s & 30’s
6) Undies for Everyone - Undies for Everyone enhances the self-esteem, dignity, hygiene, and success of Houston's disadvantaged students by providing them clean underwear. Keeping kids in class and bullies at bay. Undies for Everyone has received an incredibly generous outpouring of support for victims of Hurricanes Harvey, Irma and Maria. Help package the donations so they can be distributed to those in need!
Project Captain: Ben Proler and Matthew Putterman
Project Sponsor: Emanu El Young Professionals
7) Star of Hope, Men’s Development Center - Star of Hope’s Men’s Development Center houses over 300 men nightly and provides emergency and residential programs. The goal of the MDC is to help clients achieve success in the areas of substance abuse recovery, literacy, education, life management skills, career development, and ultimately, a responsible, independent life-style. We will be serving lunch to the clients. *
Project Captain: Cara Rosenthal
Project Sponsor: Beth Yeshurun Young Adults
*Project Time: 11 AM – 1:30 PM
8) Aishel House Garden - Aishel House provides visiting patients and their families with extensive, caring support. From transportation and warm meals to comfortable accommodations, child-care assistance, and personal counseling. They recently moved to a new location and need our help cleaning and planting in the garden.
Project Captain: Seth Esquanazi, Daniel Huvard and Jake Schrager
Project Sponsor: Moishe House
9) J Meals on Wheels – J Meals on Wheels is a JCC initiative delivering meals and groceries to individuals who are age 60 years or older, incapacitated or disabled, and who are limited in meal preparation. Recipients are often nutritionally at-risk adults who may be disabled, living alone, or low-income earners. Hurricane Harvey has put J Meals on Wheels behind in delivering groceries to seniors, help deliver groceries and visit with the seniors in need.
Project Captain: Eryn Schultz
10) NECHAMA Hurricane Harvey Relief - NECHAMA is a voluntary organization that provides natural disaster preparedness, response, and recovery services nationwide. Help NECHAMA clean out damaged possessions from flood-damaged homes and gutting out the walls/floors.
Project Captain: Josh Barvin and Abbie Kamin
Project Time: 10 AM – 12 Noon
11) Young Family Project – Join YAD & PJ Library Family Volunteers in visiting the elderly The Medallion residents for song and craft activities!
Project Captain: Mari and Micheal Taska
Project Sponsor: PJ Library